Wednesday, October 11, 2006

The city of cold and lights

On Saturday, I walked home from my best friend's house in jeans and a tank-top, and had to immediately change into shorts once I was home because it was so warm out. +28ºC or thereabouts.

On Tuesday, I slogged through a snow-encrusted field in my soccer cleats in an attempt to make it to my game on time, only to arrive at the field and find out it was cancelled due to the snow.

This city is ridiculous.

Snow at this time of the year makes life seem so precarious and unrealistic. Snow laces my every thought with memories of Christmas and the holidays. When these memories hit, I end up drifting through the day in a hazy state, unable to believe that it’s only October and far from my only responsibilities being the Christmas tree to decorate and the lights to admire in the cold, I actually have midterms next week and 3 papers to write that I haven’t started yet. Reality has a way of intruding on these pleasant, snow-born thoughts.

Stupid reality. Why doesn’t it ever take a stress leave, like a normal person?

No comments: