Friday, October 13, 2006

Way down the silver road I'll go...

I feel like I've received an official initiation into the world of adults and early-morning rush hour traffic. Note the time? I just arrived at school, therefore standing up my class that started half an hour ago. One bridge girder taken out by a cement truck apparently has the capacity to stop the flow of traffic all over the city. A 20-minute trip downtown to school evolved into an hour of frustration, disbelief, and complete immobility. I'm soon going to become steeped in bitterness, sitting hunched over at the wheel, clutching my wilted styrofoam cup of stale Robin's coffee, pulling at my over-processed hair and lambasting everyone from our municipal government and their useless traffic by-laws to the idiot attempting to turn in front of me.

Wait, what am I thinking? I could never stoop to drinking coffee from Robin's Doughnuts!

In reality, the lateness didn't bother me too much. The thought that this might be a normal morning occurrence did. But apparently that's not the case. I technically could have gone to class, I suppose - I was only 20 minutes late. But when a class is only an hour long, that's justification enough to miss. Besides, my prof is a psychotic who immediately locks the door and pulls the blinds at 8:25 sharp. Anyone coming in late has to subject themselves to pounding on the door for at least 5 minutes before he will let them in. Once inside, he will then hurl obscure questions at them and greedily savour the stammered J'ne sais pas, Monsieur... non, j'ne sais pas... before satisfactorily proclaiming that whatever cannot be answered will be on the exam.

Oh, the respect of students is a beautiful thing.

3 comments:

Michael said...

Clarify, because I'm concerned: did you or did you not drink coffee from Robin's?

I used to think Robin's was the coffee shop we used to scare our children - "if you don't behave, I'll take you to Robins"

saran said...

Horrors! Of course I don't drink coffee from Robin's! It is the coffee that lurks under the bed with the rest of the scary monsters that shouldn't exist but do.

Michael said...

Phew... you had me all worried there.