Saturday, October 28, 2006

The savage art of shame

When did selfishness become cute? When did shame become laughable? It was a simple question, and to me, the answer seemed embarrassingly obvious. But I grew to abhor the inevitable response. Would you like to donate $1 to the children's hospital?

And it wasn't even that they simply replied no. Oh... no, not today (because obviously they were planning to come back tomorrow and donate $20). But their reply would then be followed by a coy ducking of the head, a simpering laugh, and an Oh-aren't-I-terrible sideways glance at their partner.

You see, it was far more convenient when they were alone. Then they didn't feel the need to justify their moral degradation with hollow sweetness.

It's the children's hospital. You will pay $10 for a violent video game, $6 for a crappy movie, and harass me because you want the Lindt chocolate bar for $2 instead of $5 (even though you'll end up buying it anyways). And yet you think you can cutely justify your refusal to donate $1 - ONE DOLLAR - to sick kids.

What the hell is wrong with this picture.

2 comments:

Michael said...

$5 for a Lindt chocolate bar? That's a steal!

Seriously, you're right. People are selfish and seem to think it's cute. You'd think they'd come up with a better lie to make themselves look better - "I've already donated, thanks"; "My charitiable givings are already accounted for"; "I don't like children and hope they all die."

Anonymous said...

How come that comment up there seemed so Lemony Snicket-esque to me?