Thursday, December 21, 2006

I am the jerk who prefers the sea I could never see

I just finished my Christmas wrapping (lies, all lies - I lost one of my presents for my mom... I think I wrapped it up in my brother's gift), listening to Iron & Wine up in my room. An unconventional choice for my Christmas wrapping background music, especially for me, the most iron-clad traditionalist at Christmastime. But there was something about tonight's introspective and melancholic mood that called for Iron & Wine over Crystal Lewis' rendition of Joy to the World (as delicious as that is). I watched The Last Kiss tonight (Doesn't that not come out until Tuesday? you may ask. Ah, my friends, welcome to the perks of working at Blockbuster) and it edged me subtly into the mood I have come to associate with movies that deal dangerously with relationships. The ones that look at a shadow of a connection and leave you asking But why? and When will it happen to me? The ones that don't show something easy, or peaceful - but full. And it's that fullness that I find myself alternately longing for... and backing away from, mostly because I'm convinced it can never happen to me. And if it would, I wouldn't want it anyways.

Ah, 2am introspection. What would life be without you?

1 comment:

Michael said...

You have a Merry Christmas... you and your sexy cartoon shoes.