Sunday, November 05, 2006

Y a l'Ontario dans l'cul aussi!

I spent the evening (somewhat inadvertently) at the French Film Festival, hanging out at the Globe for 2½ hours because my best friend can't read military time. Her and I and my brother just returned home from watching Bon Cop Bad Cop, and all I can say is:

Canadian filmmakers, I salute you.

One of the wittiest, most hilarious and beautifully juxtaposed films I have seen in a very long time. The humour was birthed purely from the rapid-paced, clever dialogue, and the development in character relations was subtle but utterly essential to the underlying themes of the movie.

I actually don't know when I have laughed so hard during a movie. And yet it moved me to tears as well. They took the most common of themes and inlaid it with wholly Canadian references and gestures that transformed a forgettable cops n' robbers movie into an unforgettable look at the pride of a culture versus the pride of a nation that threaten to tear each other apart.

I have my rights too; this is the smoking section.

Quand j'ai regardé à l'interieur, j'ai pensé que j'entendais quelqu'un en destres. Et il y avait quelqu'un, mais pas qui j'ai pensé. Et il était en destres... mais pas aujourd'hui.

You have a strong accent in both French and English... who was your tutour, Jean Chrétien?

Do yourself a favour : go and support Canadian film.

4 comments:

Michael said...

How do you inadvertantly wind up at a French film fest?

saran said...

Ha, no, I inadvertantly spent the entire evening there - my friend thought it started at 7:30pm so we were there for 7:00... when in reality it didn't start until 21h30 (9:30pm).

Michael said...

Oh, stupid 24 hour clock. Has your friend figured it out yet (you simply subtract from the first number) or is this one of those things it's best not to push?

saran said...

Apparently she knows and just wasn't thinking... but that won't stop us from making fun of her about this for the next few months (we have permission to bring it up until 2007).