Friday, June 09, 2006

Never let it hold you back

Today is a momentous day: the day I stared fear in the face and won.

The fear of baking layer cakes, that is. Ever since a fateful Mother's Day three years earlier, I haven't had the slightest desire to attempt to bake a layer cake. That Mother's Day, I stupidly decided to bake a three-layer strawberry meringue cream cake, despite the fact that it was blazing hot outside with not a breath of air to push the heat into what would vaguely resemble a breeze. No no, a little heat couldn't scare me. So I plowed ahead with my baking plans, and the result was a leaning tower of cream and meringue and sliding strawberries that I attempted to hold upright by means of various forks and chopsticks frantically poked in at various intervals.

Sigh.

Since that day, no layer cakes for me. I didn't even stop to look at their pictures in a cookbook.

But today, that all has changed! Today, I put into motion the steps that will either end in disaster or a three-layer toffee-mocha cream torte. My brother is a special person to prompt this kind of action from me on his birthday. I haven't actually attempted to put the layers together... that bit of fun I am saving for tomorrow morning. Oh joy and delight, I can't wait to see what the morrow holds...

But I do know that it holds a massage at 10:45, so maybe it's not all that bad.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If it weren't so close to 3 o'clock in the morning, I would write more to you now than: Hello. If you can't be there, I'm glad you're here. Don't let me forget about the long overdue email I need to send you. So much and solittle has happened I don't know where to begin.

Love,
Rachel

Anonymous said...

I am proud of you! Did the cake turn out okay once the layers were....layered?
I saw on the Food Channel a birthday cake competition and it was insanity! The craziness these people went through to make extravagant cakes in that amount of time....it was truly a suspenseful show.
Both of my parents cook and bake. I wish I could work miracles such as theirs.