Friday, June 02, 2006

Little darling, it's all right

It's an interesting day outside... strictly weather-speaking. It was gorgeous and sunny when I woke up, one of those days when you smile before you open your eyes and realize that sometime during the night you've comfortably kicked off all your blankets and are covered now by only half of a sheet and a cat (and pajamas, of course...) And it smelt wonderful. To me, summer is here when the smell of apple blossoms, lilacs, fresh-cut grass and line-dried clothes has seeped through the walls of my house and lies curled in every corner, every windowsill, on the step of every staircase, in the smooth lines of my pillowcase.

On such a gorgeous day, I scrounged around for a picnic blanket and an old pillow and made myself a retreat center underneath the sprawling branches of our crabapple tree in the front. It was more shaded than I had liked, but the warm smell of the sun still bathed me, so I was content. Except for the fact that my pillow was not high enough to adequately support my head, so I had to keep flipping around to try and find a somewhat-comfortable position. And for the fact that our front yard is only partially concealed by a fence of bushes, so I was the object of covert, fascinated glimpses for the many junior-high boys who walked past our house on their way home to lunch.

However, the sun decided to play hide-and-seek at around 1:30 in the afternoon, without realizing that I did not feel the need to be entertained by games as I lay out in its company. Once the sun hid, the temperature dropped only slightly, but my aching back did not find it worth it to stay outside. So, in I came, only to write what I now realize is quite a pointless entry. But the very freeing notion of having no commentators is exactly that: I don't care about what comments may come!

Football game tonight (which I was not invited to). Wedding tomorrow (which I was invited to).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Except for the fact that my pillow was not high enough to adequately support my head, so I had to keep flipping around to try and find a somewhat-comfortable position."
I have that exact same dilemma every time I lie down.

"But the very freeing notion of having no commentators is exactly that: I don't care about what comments may come!"
Ah, yes! The publication without the public. And yet here I am now, just to say that your so-called pointless entries are not even that, since they continue to show that we are the same person in two different places.