Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Not this again...

I hate starting. There is something so appealing and satisying about the very initial start of something new, but once the page is first marked, it becomes work to build something comfortable once again. I am so addicted to these crisp new beginnings that I forget about the discomfort that lies right behind them.

I had a wonderful day yesterday; a classic, hoped-for Victoria Day. What an odd holiday. Thank you oh useless representative monarchy of Canada for granting us a day off in the middle of such a beautiful month! Not that a "day off" really means anything to me right now, but it does mean something to those around me, which in turns benefits me. I spent the day with my close friend/cousin Nicole and her family. We walked around all morning, stopping at various flower shops where my aunt was busily plotting her new and improved Victorian garden scheme for this year. In the afternoon, we went to a park and flew a kite. BATKITE, to be precise. Batkite was eagerly rebellious in the wind and made for many hours (well, 1½) of enjoyable arguments and tense struggles for power with him. Flying a kite forces you outside, into a green space, where you have to be faced with a strong wind whipping away any anxieties or embarrassments you may have. And the whole time, you inevitably have "Let's Go Fly a Kite" from Mary Poppins running through your head. Well, at least I did. What could be more enjoyable?

And, to make a lovely day even better, I burnt my shoulders! Summer has gloriously, triumphantly arrived in a blaze of rosy skin and aloe vera applications. I have bid my official adieu to the blinding pastiness of the winter months. Unfortunately, I suspect aurevoir is more accurate...

No comments: